Mimi's Cafe Corn Chowder:
(This is what I order every time I go to Mimi's)
Pumpkin Crumb Muffins:
- 1/4 cup butter(1/2 a stick)
- 6 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 cups cubed potatoes (1/2 inch pieces)
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash white pepper, or black
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart half and half cream
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Once melted add celery and onion and saute for 5 minutes (not til brown, just til soft).
- Add water, potatoes, corn, sugar, salt and pepper, making sure water covers everything, adding more if not covered completely. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, usually about 30 minutes.
- Whisk flour into 1 cup of the half and half and then stir into soup.
- Add remaining half and half and simmer until soup is thickened to a creamy consistency (usually about 15 minutes).
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if wanted. If the chowder is too thick, add some milk, if it is too thin, simmer for 5-10 minutes more.
(by my sister in law, Camie)
- 1 2/3 C. flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 C. Libby's solid pack pumpkin
- 1/4 C. undiluted evaporated milk
- 1/3 C. shortening
- 1 C. packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
Combine 2 Tbs. flour, 2 Tbs. granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in 1 Tbs. butter until mixture is crumbly.
Bake in preheated 350 oven for 35-40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.