Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Zuppa Toscana

This recipe is from my collection of 'ward cookbooks'.
This soup is yummy and flavorful. It is similar to the Olive Garden's version.
(not that great of a picture, I apologize)

Zuppa Toscana


1 lb. Italian sausage
2 lg. russet baking potatoes - sliced in half, then in 1/4 inch slices and then quartered
1 lg. onion, chopped
6 slices cooked bacon crumbled (or bacon bits)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 c. kale, chopped well
1 qt. water
1 c. heavy whipping cream

Cook sausage in a 300 degree oven. Bake appox 30 minutes, drain on paper towels and cut into slices. Place onions, potatoes, chicken broth, water and garlic in pot. Cook on medium heat until potatoes are done. Add sausage, bacon, salt and pepper (to taste) and simmer for another 10 minutes. Turn to low heat. Add kale and cream. Heat through and serve.
Makes 8 servings.

**If I were to make this again, I would add less kale. I would also cook the kale longer, to soften it more.

Perfect for a chilly fall day! Enjoy!

4 comments:

Letti said...

This soup sounds like heaven. I am a huge soup lover and I am always looking for new soups to try.

debra said...

This is my FAVORITE soup at the O.G., so I'll have to try this! Looks So good!

Um, but can I ask... what is kale? It's outside of my food comfort zone I think!

Amy said...

Kale is like lettuce, but thicker. You'll find it in the produce section. ;)

Super deals dream interpretation said...

Yum! Zuppa Toscana soup was delicious. I followed step by step and it turned out pretty good. Thank you so much Natasha for sharing the recipe! 🙂