Monday, May 5, 2008

Cauliflower Cheese Soup



Background: I volunteered myself to be in charge of our new ward cookcook. Seriously, that's where the best recipes come from and I'm SO sick of the same things I make over and over and over again. Because of this "volunteering" task I've taken upon myself, I get to be the first to see all the fun recipes people are turning in! This recipe isn't from anyone in my ward though- it's from a sample cookbook I received from the company that will be printing our official Ward Cookbook and I thought it sounded yummy and easy.

CAULIFLOWER CHEESE SOUP
1 lg. head cauliflower
2 T. onion, minced
2 T. butter, melted
2 T. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can beef or chicken broth
3 c. milk
2 c. grater cheddar cheese
1/4 c. parsley (optional- but it adds color, so use it!)

Break cauliflower into small pieces. Cook covered in salt water until tender; drain. Meanwhile, saute onion in butter until tender. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches boiling point. Add cheese and stir until it melts. Add cauliflower and parsley. Heat to serving temperature.

We decided it's pretty much a broccoli cheese soup but with cauliflower. I'm not going to say it's the best soup I've ever had, but it was really quite tasty. My girls loved it!
We even cheated and cooked up a couple pieces of bacon and it gave it a fun flavor, but it's not necessary. When is bacon ever necessary though?

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
- Doug Larson

No comments: